Martin wrote:

On Tuesday 21 December 2004 19:33, Paul Greene wrote:

Dear all,

I'm having some trouble maintaining an IP address on Mandrake 10. In the
network config, I configure an IP address of 192.168.0.5, and use an
internal DNS server running on a Win2k box, and the ISP DNS address for
backup.

When the system first boots, all connectivity is fine, both with my
internal network, and with internet destinations. After awhile, even
though the ifconfig command reveals the link is UP and still has the
correct assigned IP address, I cannot ping any other host on my internal
network, and, of course cannot get out to the internet. The error
message that comes back is "Destination Host Unreachable". The IP
assigned to the box is ping-able, but nothing else on the network is.

Another weird thing is that the entry "nameserver 127.0.0.1" is added to
"/etc/resolv.conf". Even if I remove the entry, it comes back again on
the next reboot.

The NIC is a Linksys LNE-100, and was working fine for a few days in a
Windows box, so I don't suspect a hardware problem with the card, or the
cabling.

Any suggestions?

Paul

Paul

i have noticed that with 10 my kmail connection will dissapear after the computer being on all day. I get a message like - cannot connect to pop3.....
but at the same time any radio i have going or xchat for example are working fine...

i wonder if or propblems are related? have you had anythign like this?

Martin

I wouldn't know! Just installed Mandrake a couple days ago, and haven't done much in the way of e-mail yet because my network connectivity has been hosed. Now that it seems to be working ok (thanks to Derek Jennings post), I'll be migrating my e-mail over to Mandrake, though I'm using Thunderbird for e-mail so it might not have similar problems anyway.

Paul