On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 20:06, John Zoetebier wrote:
> I wonder if it is safe to upgrade directly from Mandrake 10.0 to 10.1 using
> Mandrake 10.1 Official Edition without uninstalling KDE.
> I have downloaded the ISO images and burned them on CD.
> Any suggestions welcome.

Depends.

If you mean putting the CD's in and doing a normal upgrade, then no problems,
as you will just get upgraded to the default KDE3.2 version.

If you then want to upgrade to KDE 3.3 after the initial system upgrade, then
there can be issues.  The OE version of the RPMs are better than the CE
version, but better yet are the 3.3.1 ones from Club testing or Thac:

ftp://ftp.proxad.fr/mirrors1/ftp.mandrake-linux.com/Mandrakelinux/devel/testing/Mandrakeclub/10.1/i586
ftp://ftp.proxad.fr/mirrors1/ftp.mandrake-linux.com/Mandrakelinux/devel/testing/Mandrakeclub/10.1/noarch

http://rpm.nyvalls.se/index10.1.html

These work well, but can be a little temperamental installing :-)  Basically,
uninstall all the Quanta, Util, Addon and KMPlayer RPMs first before trying.
There may be a couple more as well, but I leave those to you to work around.

John.