Noel wrote:

>When you say that the installation has been successful, does that mean just
>wine or the MS programme as well?

That means just Wine: then I tried to install MS Office 2000 with WineTools
with no success. Here is the whole procedure I followed:

-
>From Wine web site: www.winehq.org I downloaded the file
Wine-20041201.tar.gz.

Previously:

        # urpmi flex
        # urpmi bison

. Then I copied Wine-20041201.tar.gz into the ~/tmp directory

$ cd ~/tmp

$ tar xzvf Wine-20041201.tar.gz

$ cd wine-20041201

$ ./tools/wineinstall

During the run I got the message:

        We need to install wine as root user, do you want us to build wine,
        'su root' and install Wine?  Enter 'no' to continue without installing
        (yes/no)

. I typed 'yes'.

Further on I got this other message:

        Create local config file ~/.wine/config?
        (yes/no)

. I typed 'yes', and immediately after:

        Searching for an existing Windows installation... found.

        Windows was found on your system, and so we can use the Windows
        Drive as our Wine drive. You may, however, wish to create a clean
        Wine install anyways.
        Should I use the Windows drive for the Wine install? (yes/no) no

. I typed 'no', and:

        Configuring Wine without Windows.
        Some fake Windows directories must be created, to hold any .ini files,
DLLs,
        start menu entries, and other things your applications may need to
install.
        Where would you like your fake C drive to be placed?
        (default is /home/rodolfo/.wine/drive_c)

. I hit 'return', and:

        Configuring Wine for a no-windows install in
/home/rodolfo/.wine/drive_c...
        err:wave:OSS_WaveOutInit /dev/mixer1: No such file or directory
        Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
        /home/rodolfo/.wine updated successfully.

        Created /home/rodolfo/.wine/config using default Wine configuration.
        You probably want to review the file, though.

        Installation complete for now. Good luck (this is still alpha software).
        If you have problems with WINE, please read the documentation first,
        as many kinds of potential problems are explained there.

, and the installation was over: it lasted more than 30 minutes!
At this point I didn't know how to run MS Word. In the Wine mailing lists
there were two different opinions:

1) enter the directory containing the file winword.exe
   (that was '/mnt/windows/Programmi/Microsoft Office/Office')
   and do '$ wine winword.exe'; but this didn't work;

2) use WineTools. Then I tried this second solution:

from http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/ I downloaded the file
winetools-207jo.tar.gz and copied into the ~/tmp dir. In that dir,

$ tar xzvf winetools-207jo.tar.gz

# cp -r /home/rodolfo/tmp/winetools /usr/local

# ln -s /usr/local/winetools/wt207jo /usr/local/bin/wt

$ wt

I chose 'Base setup'

I chose 'Create a fake Windows drive'

I answered 'yes' when asked: 'Remove existing Wine configuration?'

I chose 'O.k.' when asked: 'What's the mount point of the cdrom/dvd drive?
e.g. /mnt/cdrom:'

I connected to internet; then, from another console, I did

        $ wt

, and chose 'Base setup', then "TrueType Arial": I got the message:
'The config file says the software you want to install is already installed.
Continue?'.
I chose 'yes', there was a downloading, after which I accepted the license,
and the installation went up to the end;
I found myself in the 'Base setup' menu again, and selected DCOM98; there
was a downloading as well, after which
I accepted the license, and the installation went up to the end;
then I found myself in the 'Base setup' menu again: all the options were:

---New Setup (past April 2004) ---
Create a fake Windows drive
True type Font Arial
DCOM98
Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 (plain method)
Add printcap (non CUPS) printers

I selected the 'Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 (plain method)', and got the
message:

        After the installation your system.reg will be replaced!
        You will loose all registry keys of installed programs (except for
DCOM98)!
        This is a full automatic installation of almost all components.
        You can add additional components later by using the uninstaller.
        Continue anyway?

I chose 'no'. Then I exited the 'Base setup' menu, went into the Main Menu
and continue with
"Install additional software" and choose "Microsoft Office 2000". I got the
message:

        If you are asked for, select drive D: for installation.
        Never install Office-Tools/Office-Assistents.
        They might shredder your setup.

I pressed 'o.k.' and got the message:

        If you downloaded the file by yourself (e.g. in a different language)
        you can use this one instead of the default.
        Do you want to use the default?

I chose 'yes' and got the message:

        For this software you need a mounted CD. Shall I mount it for you?

I chose 'yes', and got the error message:

        Mounting of the CD failed. You should do it manually.

I pressed 'o.k', and after a few seconds got the message:

         It seems that the installation has failed.

I pressed 'o.k.', and found myself in the Additional Software menu again.
I exit WineTools.

Sorry for such a long posting, but this way you (or anyone else can provide
help)
will have an exact idea of the situation.
Any suggestions?

Thanks indeed for your reply,
happy holidays

sincerely,