> Hi, and happy holidays to all the listers.
>
> 1) Suppose I copied the file 'mypackage.tar.gz' into the ~/tmp directory
>    and within that directory I did: $ tar xzvf mypackage.tar.gz
>                                       $ cd mypackage'
>                                               $ ./configure'
>                                               $ make
>                                               # make install
>    in order to install the 'mypackage' package.
>    How can I uninstall it,
>    1a) if the dir ~/tmp/mypackage is still there?;
>    1b) if the dir ~/tmp/mypackage was removed after the installation?

"make uninstall" from "mypackage" may work. It depends on the package
creater. They do not have to create an uninstall section.  If you have
removed "mypackage", you will have to run tar, and probably ./configure
again.

> 2) Suppose I copied the file 'mypackage.rpm' into the ~/tmp directory
>    and within that directory I did: # rpm -i mypackage.rpm (is that
> correct?)
>    in order to install the 'mypackage' package.
>    How can I uninstall it,
>    2a) if the file mypackage.rpm is still there in the ~/tmp directory?;
>    2b) if the file mypackage.rpm was removed after the installation?

The nice thing about using RPM to manage packages is that it keeps a
database of installed packages.  So where you have the RPM you installed
from does not matter when it comes to removing it. You just run

rpm -e mypackage

and it will remove the files. You do not need the origional mypackage.rpm
file to do this. This is especialy handy when you installed over the
Internet.  Things like "rpm -ivh ftp://ftp.mirror.com/rpms/mypackage.rpm";
work for installing RPMs.
> Thanks in advance for any replies,
> and excuse such basic (and maybe silly) questions.
>
> Rodolfo
>
> P.S.: Are '# rpm -i mypackage.rpm' and '# urpmi mypackage.rpm'
>       equivalent or what's the difference between the two?

urpmi is much more powerfull then rpm.  If everything needed to install
and run mypackage is already installed, and you already have myfile.rpm,
then there is not a lot of difference between the two. But urpmi will
"usualy" resolve any dependencies needed in order to install myfile, as
well as getting myfile over the Internet if it is listed in one of its
databases of RPMs. It also handles the case where you have an older
version of myfile, and you are upgrading it. (RPM requires the U or F
option to upgrade and RPM, instead of the i option.) urpmi, and urpme also
offer a lot more package managment options. You should realy read the
documentation on them, or at least run "man urpmi".

Mikkel