For any interested.  I was not able to improve my own script any further but I
was able to get BFD by R-fx networks working on my system.

http://rfxnetworks.com/bfd.php
BFD is a modular shell script for parsing applicable logs and checking for
authentication failures. There is not much complexity or detail to BFD yet
and likewise it is very straight-forward in its installation, configuration
and usage. The reason behind BFD is very simple; the fact there is little to
no authentication and brute force auditing programs in the linux community
that work in conjunction with a firewall or real-time facility to place bans.

I am using this in conjunction with shorewall and have made a few minor
changes to the rules file for sshd to get it working on my Mandrake 10.1
system.  I have put details on the Mandrake Twiki for those interested.

--
Bryan Phinney