> At 10:31 AM 12/26/2004, you wrote:
>
>>On Saturday 25 December 2004 01:20 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> > What does /etc/resolv.conf look like? Did you by chance install tmdns
>> when
>> > you were adding packages? This sounds like a DNS problem.  It may be
>> that
>> > one of the name servers in resolv.conf is not returning valid IP
>> > addresses, but is returning something.  (No responce form a name
>> server
>> > would resultiung in a delay of about 90 seconds while it times out,
>> plus
>> > however long the next one takes...)
>> >
>> > Mikkel
>>
>>         When I do /etc/resolv.comf from root, I get a message saying
>>"bash: /etc/resolv.conf: Permission denied"  How can I see what it
>> contains?
>>
>>         The lack of connection is not a time out issue; that is an error
>> message is
>>returned immediately rather than after a pause.  I have bind installed,
>> but
>>not tmdns.  Are there any other programs which may be causing conflicts?
>>
>>         Thanks,
>>
>>Collin
>>

> Well, looks like you weren't logged in as root and should have done either
> 'more /etc/resolv.conf' or 'cat /etc/resolv.conf'.  I'd ping the
> nameservers in that file and make sure they're talking at least.
>
>>Dennis Duffner

Even as root, you would get the same error message, because resolv.conf is
not executable.  But it is readable by all users. It has to be, so that
programs can get the name server information. (Netscape, Mozilla, and I
believe Firefox access the file directly.)

>From other information in the thread, he has bind installed. It is
probably the first name server, and it is erroring out. Probably not
configured correctly. The second would work because it tryes the next name
server in the list.  URLs from the same domain work because the web
browser already knows the IP address of the server. (Best guess from the
information given so far...)

Mikkel