On Friday 24 December 2004 15:47, Deep Thinker wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
>  Happy Holidays.
>
> I have just installed Mandrake 10.1 official from 3 iso discs downloaded.
>
> Question 1. The machine is a Gateway profile. The only
> network/Internet connection will be through a 3Com PCMCIA Card
> (3CRPAG175). What steps do I need to take to make this work, or should
> it be autodetected?
>

> Question 2. This machine will primarily be for kids learning about
> computers, how to type, word processing, and of course, playing games.
> I noticed that the Firefox browser is not included in this
> installation. How do I go about getting this, and the other programs I
> may need safely installed on the machine.
>

> Thanks for any help...

1/ If the card was inserted while you were installing Mandrake then it should
have been auto-detected. Run the Network GUI in Mandrake Control Centre to
configure it. If it has not autodetected the card, then ensure that the
package pcmcia-cs is installed (using your software install GUI) When your
computer starts with a pcmcia card inserted you should hear two 'beeps' of
different tone when the pcmcia card is detected.  If you do not hear those,
then come back and we can offer more advice.

2/ The package mozilla-firefox can be added using the Software Install GUI in
your Mandrake Control Centre
(Menu>System>Configuration>ConfigureyourComputer)
It will take about a minute for the menu item for firefox to appear in your
menu list.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net