On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 04:03:25PM +0000, Bill Winegarden wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been asked by my family to set up a website. The domain is all set and
> a webdav account has been set up for me to upload files.
> This is new to me. I have gone into MCC and there is a webdav entry under the
> mount points tab. It says that davfs must be installed but when I click o.k.
> to install an error message comes back saying 'mandatory package davfs is
> missing'.
> Where can I find the package? Is there a basic tutorial anywhere with
> information on webdav?

Bill,

I tried webdav on 9.1 and had problems with Apache2 and webdav; I had
better luck with Apache1.3. Google a bit and you'll see that Windows XP
has a broken webdav implementation in its Explorer such that it can't
authenticate. I found a few hacks on the web but none of them worked for
me. If your users are Windows users, you might have problems.

Anyway, getting davfs is as easy as urpmi davfs. You also have to set up
permissions and turn on webdav in Apache for the directory in question.
It can be as simple as

<Location /calendars>
  DAV On
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "WebDAV Calendars"
  AuthUserFile /var/www/calusers
  <LimitExcept GET HEAD OPTIONS>
    Require valid-user
  </LimitExcept>
</Location>

The best tutorials I found for setting up webdav were these:

http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/10825_2176771_2
http://questier.com/howto.html#CAL

Todd

--