On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 13:43:43 +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 27 Dec 2004 07:22, deedee E wrote:
>
> > I think you will find that OO Writer is a lot more stable than
> > MSWord and has as many features (all of which convert very nicely
> > to MSWord, even though MSWord converts in an iffy manner to other
> > things). The only real issue concerns VBS -- OO cannot convert it.
> > If you need VBS, you need MSOffice.
> >
> Last year my son-in-law went to a Sun conference where they were
> demonstrating
> their newly-announced Java Desktop system.  At that conference it was said
> that the OOo developers were close to being able to run the VBS scripts
> within documents.  When my sin-in-law asked if that would not also mean
> opening it to all the accompanying vulnerabilities there was a stunned
> silence.  Apparently no-one had thought of that.

I hope they don't do this -- at least not using VBS. If they can
convert the VBS to something else, that might work. MS groupies
make a big deal out of the fact that OOo doesn't handle VBS, but
most people point out that they consider the lack of VBS a feature
of OOo rather than a liability and have VBS turned off on their
Windows systems for security reasons. These days VBS is about the
only reason anyone can give for keeping MSWord. OOo Writer does
everything else MSWord does and then some.

deedee

Registered Linux User #327485
Visit "WordStar & GNU/Linux"
http://www.wordstar2.com
Also, see WordStar Users Group Community
http://www.wordstar2.com/WordStar_Users/index.php