On Sunday 02 January 2005 20:01, SnapafunFrank wrote:

> What I had in mind is that a " onboard " mail client be established that
> would allow any email client to get the email via it, appoint klamav to
> check the email coming through and going out at this point - basically
> all email passes " this way ".
>
> Similar to the 'server' capabilities of AVG7 Pro that I use when I visit
> my windows installation.
<snipped>

> Interested?

If you mean a new project, I figured I would mention to you that Linux has
this capability built in.  If you run a local copy of an MTA like Postfix,
and route your ISP mail through that local MTA, you can push mail through a
virus checker prior to local delivery.  There would be no need to filter
outgoing mail with Linux, because the only way that you could send a virus
out would be to manually attach the virus to your mail and I assume that you
are not going to do that unless it is intentional.

I haven't done it, but I also assume that you can use procmail and clamav to
push mail through a virus checker prior to local delivery as well.  I imagine
that you can use Kmail's anti-virus wizard to do the same thing.  However,
most Linux machines would probably do this at the MTA level, whether local or
not, rather than trying to build a whole new project at the client level.

And, as an aside, any reliance on a tag that says that a mail has been virus
scanned is really VERY misguided, since such tags can be spoofed very easily,
and in fact, several worms spoof exactly such tags in their mail.
--
Bryan Phinney