On Monday 03 January 2005 03:29 am, John Layt wrote:

> So, in short for a digital camera:
> 1) Plug in camera
> 2) Look camera up in /etc/hotplg/usb.usermap
> 3) Run init script /etc/hotplug/usb/usbcam to create /dev/usb entry and
> call 4 4) Run /etc/dynamic/scripts/camera.script with the /dev/usb entry
> and call 5 5) If under KDE, run /dynamic/launchers/camera/kde.desktop which
> points to 6 6) Run /etc/alternatives/camera.kde.dynamic which points to 7
> 7) Run /etc/launchers/camera/gtkam.desktop
>
> So the quick hack will be to edit /etc/launchers/camera/gtkam.desktop to
> actually call kaffeine instead of gtkam :-)  Unfortunately, I've loaned my
> digital camera to my brother for his honeymoon, so I can't confirm it
> works, but if you care to try, as root edit the file so the contents appear
> as follows:
>
>   [Desktop Entry]
>   Name=digikam
>   Comment=Digital Camera Program
>   TryExec=/usr/bin/digikam
>   Exec=/usr/bin/digikam
>   Terminal=false
>   Icon=digikam.png
>   Type=Application
>
> Let me know if this works for now.
>
> The proper course will be to uninstall gtkam,
> create /etc/launchers/camera/digikam.desktop, and create the other required
> symbolic links.  I'll experiment and detail that later.
>
> John.

John, after reading your post this morning for the KsCD fix I thought I'd do a
little experimenting myself on the digikam vs flphoto or gtkam.  What I've
discovered is that if I copy the flphoto file
in /etc/dynamic/launchers/camera to a file called digikam.desktop then edit
it as shown below:

Desktop Entry]
Name=Digikam
Comment=All what you need for the photos from your digital camera
TryExec=/usr/bin/digikam
Exec=/usr/bin/digikam
Terminal=false
Icon=digikam.png
Type=Application

Then edit the kde.desktop link in the same dir as such:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Digikam
Comment=All what you need for the photos from your digital camera
TryExec=/usr/bin/digikam
Exec=/usr/bin/digikam
Terminal=false
Icon=digikam.png
Type=Application
[Desktop Entry]

And I don't know if I had to edit the kde.desktop link or not, but, now when I
turn on my Sony CDMavica camera Digikam comes up instead of flphoto.
Now, if I could just get the system to read the mini-cds in the drive instead
of having to use the camera I'd be a happy camper.

--
Chris
Registered Linux User 283774 http://counter.li.org