Kaj Haulrich wrote:

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 15:07, Bryan Phinney wrote:

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 08:20, Kaj Haulrich wrote:

When doing a chkrootkit everything looks fine except this :

Checking `asp'... not infected
Checking `bindshell'... not infected
Checking `lkm'... Checking `rexedcs'... not found
Checking `sniffer'... eth0: PF_PACKET(/sbin/dhclient)
Checking `w55808'... not infected
Checking `wted'... nothing deleted
Checking `scalper'... not infected
Checking `slapper'... not infected

What is this sniffer thing and does it matter ?

Packet sniffer. If you are running an Intrusion Detection System
like portsentry or Snort, that would account for the detection of
a packet sniffer as IDS's have to sniff packet to detect
intrusions.

Thanks Bryan and Avi, but I'm running snort or portsentry or anything. So where does this "sniffer" come from ? - To me it sounds pretty much like one of those thousands of Windows-spyware malignancies. Never thought a Linux system could get one, but maybe I'll have to think again ?

Please re-read my previous email, but if you prefer, also check the following:

Avi

--

Avi Schwartz
http://public.xdi.org/=avi.schwartz

When you have robbed a man of everything, he is no longer in your power. He is
free again.

-- Alexander Solzhenitsyn