On Tuesday 04 January 2005 17:46, David Reynolds wrote:

> Actually that seems to be exactly what I've done, but it still has the
> /boot partition (former "C:") as the "active" primary partition, according
> to my partition table. Linux doesn't care, but Windows runs into the
> "blinking cursor on a black screen" problem when I try to choose it from
> Lilo.
>
> Is there (or rather, what is) a way to set the active 'bit' on your primary
> partition? That might save me the entire reinstall, which would be nice...

Yes.  If you boot from the CD, you should be able to get to a command line
interface and then run fdisk.  You can make partitions active and inactive
there.

However, you can only have one active primary partition.  If, during the
original disk partitioning, you created two primary partitions and two
logical drives, C and D, if you make D active, then C will become inactive
and Windows may reissue the drive letters which will make the D logical drive
the C logical drive and mess up all your drive letters from the original
install.

If this is the case, you are going to have to bite the bullet and remove the
second primary partition, reduce the size of the primary partition to just
the C drive size and then create an extended partition for the D and other
logical drives on the disk.  If this doesn't happen, then it doesn't matter
if the C logical drive is hidden or not since it will be a Linux drive and
not really readable under Win2k anyway.

--
Bryan Phinney