On Thursday 06 January 2005 16:07, Miark wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 09:45:34 +0100, Kaj wrote:
> > ...citizens
> > of English-speaking countries rarely need anything besides
> > us/uk-ascii....
> >
> > Anyway, an easy way to check what charsets are installed is :
> >
> > Open a browser, i.e. Firefox. Select View -->Character
> > Encoding.
>
> Ah ha! ISO-8859-1 is selected, but I do have UTF-8 in the list
> so I guess it is on my machine. I wonder why Sylpheed could see
> the some of your funky characters, but not the Euro-crap char.
> Oh well.
>
> Miark

The one and only difference between ISO-8859-1 and ISO-8859-15 is
exactly that Euro-symbol (â) .... so who cares ?

Ideally UTF 8/16/32 should support every known language and every
thinkable character, but - as I understand it - there have been
some issues with Microsoft - as usual.  Anyway, the bulk of
Windows-boxes still don't have UTF or ISO-8859 but only some
Windows-charsets like windows-1252.  That's why I prefer to write
html-documents using ascii with escape-sequences.  But I'll admit
that languages who don't use western (latin) characters like Arabic
or Chinese arent' covered.  But then again, why would I want to
write something in Arabic ?

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*sent from a 100% Microsoft-free workstation*
         * http://haulrich.net *