Sorry... can't let my old math profs down on this one.

Zero isn't imaginary either. An imaginary number is a multiple of a quantity
called "i" which is defined by the property that i squared equals -1. Zero
squared is Zero and the square root of Zero is still Zero.

Some people get confused, because it is hard to imagine any number having a negative
square.
It is tempting to believe that i doesn't really exist, but rather it's just a
convenient mathematical hoop de doo. This isn't the case. Imaginary numbers do
exist. They are not really imaginary at all. The name
dates back to when they were first introduced, before their existence was
really understood. At that point in time, people were imagining what it would
be like to have a number system that contained square roots of negative
numbers, hence the name "imaginary". Eventually it was realized that such a
number system does in fact exist, but by then the name had stuck.

--
PadLocke the Ogre
There are three types of people in this world...