On Saturday 08 Jan 2005 04:00, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> On Friday 07 January 2005 09:23 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >   I have a new Mandrake CD 10.1 Linux and I have XP already on my system.
> > I installed a FAT32 Hard Drive on the Second IDE interface as a Slave
> > since the CDROM is primary.  Can I install Linux on that drive and expect
> > it to BOOT up since Windows XP seems to provide a BOOT from any device?
>
> Yes, but be very, very certain that the Mandrake installer understands that
> you want Mandrake installed on your slave disk (hdb) and not the primary
> disk (hda). Note that Mandrake will overwrite the FAT32 formatting on hdb
> and replace it with a native Linux format; the default is ext3, but other
> options are available.
If you use Partion magic to shrink you NTFS partion run the move app program
first and after and it will edit the registry and setup any of the windows
programs that have moved drives.
A little trick I have learned when installing linux on a machine with multiple
drives or partions is to leave the drive/ partion "unallocated". in other
words no file system on a partion on a Linux / Win shared drive and no
partion on a drive to used solely by Linux. The Linux installer will defualt
to useing the free space. When I first moved over from dos /win file system
to Linux file systems I got confused with the change from drives a, c, d, to
hda, hdb for IDE drives and hda1, hda2 for partions.REMEBER to back up
anything inportant before sizeing partions or installing Linux.

--
Guy Fualks - The only man to enter the houses of Parliament with honest
intentions, (he was going to blow them up).