On Saturday 08 January 2005 06:15 am, Lloyd Heys wrote:
| Hi All
|
| I am a complete newcomer to Linux and have installed Mandrake 10.1 Official
| (hoping to move away from windows eventually).
|
| The system is up and running reasonably well (I think!) but I am having a
| problem with my ISDN terminal adapter. (which works fine in Windows).
|
| Mandrake detects the adapter, but I am not able to configure it through
| Kppd - it reports "modem ready" then "initialising modem" but gets no
| further.
|
| I have spent some time googling this problem and have ended up totally
| confused. I am not even sure if this particular TA can be used in linux.
|
| The details of the TA are as follows:
|
| "Chronos" USB ISDN TA - containing the Winbond 6694 chipset.
| I would be really greatful if anyone could help me get this set up.
|
| Thanks
|
| Lloyd Heys
| Cape Town
| South Africa

It does not appear that chip is supported by any Linux driver (at least not
yet).  It is one of those Windows only chips because the manufacturer hasn't
released the specs, and it will probably have to be reverse engineered.
Windows only support is the bane of Linux, and anyone of us planning a Linux
install needs to research every piece of hardware before we shell out our
hard earned cash.  The ACM driver "may" work, but I wouldn't spend much time
trying to get it to go.  The ACM will not work on the Winbond 6692 chip, so
it probably won't on the '94 either.
Anytime I see "USB" and "modem" together the hair on the back of my neck
stands up.