> On Saturday 08 January 2005 19:24, Angus Auld wrote:
>> Greetings, I wonder if some kind soul here could instruct/inform me on
>> how
>> I can properly config these files??
>> What should they contain and how should they look on my 10.1 system?
>>
>> I just setup ADSL broadband, and I fear I messed things up a bit. ;-)
>> My broadband is working OK, but my local hostname is now "(none)",
>> as in "#gus@(none) gus".
>> I have been searching documentation and Google, but I'm still dumb
>> on this (and lots of other stuff too).
>>
>> Help would be truly appreciated.
>>
>> Best regards.
>>
>> --Angus
>
> Your Host name is set up in the file /etc/sysconfig/network
> Add a line in the format
> HOSTNAME=your_host_name.localdomain
>
> (you can pick any name for your local domain, but do not use a Fully
> Qualified
> Domain Name unless you actually own it. I just use 'localdomain' in my
> network)
>
> The file /etc/hosts defines a lookup table to match IP addresses to
> hostnames.
> The only line that is essential in this table is
> 127.0.0.1             localhost

You will also want to put your hostname in here. Something like:

127.0.0.1          yourhostname localhost

The reasion for this is that some programs will try to look up your
hostname, and you get a delay while it tries to find it.

> If you are using static addressing in your network then you should provide
> list of IP addresses in the network with their corresponding hostnames.
> You
> can have multiple hostnames per IP address. For example
> 192.168.1.1   your_host_name.localdomain      server  downstairs-computer
>
> /etc/resolv.conf  defines how your computer will try to resolve IP
> addresses
> from hostnames. It should look somethng like
> search localdomain
> nameserver 192.168.1.251

If you are using dhcp with your ADSL, then you do not need to touch
/etc/resolv.conf, unless you are running a local name server. The dhcp
client will set this to the valuse supplied by the ADSL modem or router.
If you are running your own name server, and using dhcp, you have to add
"PEERDNS=no" to the /etc/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file to stop this. (If
your ADSL connection is not eth0, then edit the correct file for your
interface.)

For hosts.conf, I usualy use "order hosts, bind". (From memory, but I
think I have it right...)

Mikkel