----- Original Message -----
From: Margot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: newbie@linux-mandrake.com
Subject: Re: [newbie] need help with /etc/hosts, hosts.config &
resolv.configfiles
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 07:30:31 +0000

> > Thank you Derek for the reply. I am really new at this network stuff. :-)
> > I have been using dial-up for all my years of computing, and I
> > just started using braodband now that it has finally come here to
> > the boonies.
> >
> > I edited some of the mentioned files, and my hostname is once
> > again "localhost".
> > I changed my "eth0: Broadcom Corp BCM4401 100Base-T" connection
> > to use DHCP Protocol, but now when I boot my comp, booting hangs
> > at "bringing up eth0" for a long while, and finally fails trying
> > to determine IP configuration. :-(
> > The part that puzzles me is that ppp0 comes up OK, and my
> > connection is working great.
> > What gives here anyway? Doesn't ppp0 use my Broadcom nic???
> >
> > I am dazed and confused. [8>/
> >
> > Regards.
> >

> > --Angus
>Margot replied:
> I had the same problem - don't know what causes it, but the
> solution for me was to set the connection *not* to start at boot -
> once booted, open a terminal as root and do "ifup eth0" (without
> the quotes) and everything works from then on.
>
> -- Regards
> Margot
> *-*-*-*
Thanks Margot. :-))
I set the adsl not to start at boot and then rebooted.
Bootup went fine, eth0 came up OK, and, ppp0 came up OK too. :-/
What's that about? When my x-session was fully loaded I also had
my internet connection open on ppp0!

This is kind of strange....but, it's working fine.
It's really late, and I need to turn in. Tomorrow is another day for
learning.

Take care.

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around
in awareness." -- James Thurber

~Linux Laptop, Powered by Mandrake 10.1~
~Reg. Linux User #278931~

From your mailbox to local or overseas cell phones.