> I'm wondering which option is best to connect to my laptop to a
> digital camera (which hasnt been chosen yet).
>
> I thought that if I got one that supported mass storage, then it
> would be as simple as mounting my mp3 player. But someone else
> reccommended getting one that uses CF / SD cards and getting a
> pcmcia card reader for the laptop.
>
> Has anyone any suggestions? I'm a little confused. I expect there
> will be some difficulty trying to connect the camera via usb, but
> the pcmcia option might be just as difficult in itself.

I borrowed a "usb mass storage" camera once, and it mounted
automatically when i plugged it in.  If i unplugged it an plugged it
in a lot in a short amount of time, it had a little toruble, but you
shouldn't need to do that (i was playing around).

Card readers are usually a lot faster than the usb on the cameras.
My Powershot A80 takes a long time to upload images compared to my
firend's card reader (which is on windows, so i don't know how
supported it is).

As for software, i wrote some scripts (and mapped them to keys) to
download from the powershot (which does not mount as mass storage),
including a command to delete the pics.  I never even fire up
digikam.

eric

--
Mandrake HowTo's & More:          http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org