On Sunday 09 January 2005 08:15 am, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
|odem.
|
| Are 2.6.x kernels different in this then the 2.4.x kernels? I have used
| the same driver for 4 different kernels on my laptop. The RPM with the
| drivers added a directory off the modules directory for the version of
| the kernel it was packaged for, and all I have done if recreate the
| directory for the newer kernels, and create a links for the files in the
| directory. (hard link, so I can delete the origional directory when I
| clean out the old kernel's modules.) If this is going to be a problem,
| then I will have to think some more about upgrading it to 10.1.
|
| Mikkel

Debian is different--there is no pre-packaged ltmodem*.deb file for the 2.6.7
kernel (mine).  And, with the various flavors of the 2.4 kernel, I've always
used the binary installs because I can never find a package for my particular
kernel (at least, one that works!).  So, that means re-compiling the driver
every time I change.  And now, it appears that even that is messed up.  I
haven't had any problems with the modem with Mandrake, or SuSe for that
matter--but the SuSe 2.6 kernel really makes a tediously slow system, for
some reason.  The Debian 2.6 kernel is fast--faster that Mandrake.  I'm sure
of this, because the development machine I'm running it on is a K6-233 with
256 megs, and KDE isn't a problem.  SuSe really sucked on that one--Mandrake
wasn't very good with KDE either, but Xfce made it pleasant to use.
Anyway, I have several "real" machines here--I just use that one to test
stuff.