> >Thanks for the links above, I have gotten to the point now
> >where the NVidia installer reports that it has installed
> >a driver for my kernel, but that the driver conflicts with
> >a module called "rivafb". Can anyone tell me how to disable
> >the "rivafb" module in my kernel?
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
>
> I think (I know I did) you can ingnore that rivafb warning.
> Don't forget to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and the modprobe.preload as
> per the instructions on his url.

Yeah, the nvidia installer doesn't check whether you have rivafb loaded, it
just checks if the kernel has that module compiled. Since Mdk kernels do, it
always gives that warning.

When I got the warning, I checked that I wasn't using that module. Check
in /etc/modprobe.conf and modprobe.preload for a 2.6 kernel, or modules.conf
for a 2.4 kernel), but there was no reference to it. You can also do an
"lsmod|grep rivafb" to check that it's not currently loaded.

But you don't need to bother unless you have problems running the driver, in
which case this is one of the things to check.

--
Ron
ronhd at users dot sourceforge dot net

Opinions expressed here are all mine.

"As you know, necessity is the mother of invention.
I don't know who the father is. Remorse, I guess." - Red Green