Kaj Haulrich wrote:
On Tuesday 11 January 2005 19:27, John Bowden wrote:

Hi list
        just a quick one. When updating from mandrake control centre
should I close any progs that are running that are on the update
list. Will it tell me if I need to reboot or restart x?

Not necessary to close running applications. Never to reboot either. The way I understand it is as follows :

When an app starts, it gets loaded into memory and runs from there. When the newer version of that same app downloads it gets written to disk, overwriting the old version. Then, next time this app is requested, it'll be the new one.

On Linux a reboot is only needed if you install (never update) a new kernel and want to run it right away. But that's another, completely different story.

Kaj Haulrich.

Also, it an application is using a library that gets updated, both versions of the library are kept untill the application closes. But any new copies of the program use the new library. The old version will not show up in the directory listing, but will take up disk space untill the last application using it closes. This is why deleting a file doesn't always free up disk space right away.

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!