On Tuesday 11 January 2005 11:33 pm, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 January 2005 02:31 pm, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> > Sounds like something with bittorrent. What did the error
> > message say ?  What torrent were you downloading/uploading ?
> > Did you set your firewall to open for torrents ?
> >
> > Kaj Haulrich.
>
> It does, doesn't it? The error message was something about time
> out, bad info on file or somesuch. It was Lokitorrent, and it
> was a movie. :-)
>
> Yes, I had done a service shorewall stop (I know, I should set
> it to open the individual ports). So the 6xxx ports should have
> been open. Besides, I've d'/led other bittorrent files this
> way, no problem.
>
> I still don't see what it did to my /home directory that the
> reiserfs couldn't handle. :-(

   Three ideas; you ran out'a disk space or ram/swap or failed to
limit upload rate. Another consideration is you need to be very
careful on movie torrent sites.  Most are uploaded (the torrent
file) by really clueless Winblow$ users.  Some are redirects to
WaReZ sites.  Some are malicious, not a worry for Linux, as they
are targeted to fsck'up Win$ux boxes.

   Using these cautions, I haven't encountered too many bad
torrents.. yet. But if seeds disappear, a bad torrent could still
tryin keep messin with you.   IMO, torrents are the least
desirable way to get movies.  Without the 'bad' problems, some
are only an archive of corrupt .rars, with no par files for
repair.  Avoid 'cam' movies too.  Many Windoze user torrents are
erroneously encoded (aspect ratio), and you'll need to use
mencoder to fix 'em.

    So next time you try a torrent, monitor memory use (top), and
monitor the d/l directory's partition for disk space (df) from
early on. 'kdirstat' is also useful for this.  Also check your
~/.xsession-errors file to make sure it's not inflating rapidly.

    If you want further opinion, you'll need to send me the
torrent file.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American