On Wednesday 12 January 2005 08:30 am, David Reynolds wrote:
> Okay, I need to back up some of my data and, more importantly,
> burn my 10.1 ISOs before I reinstall (to fix the libgcc error
> my machine developed on the last install). However *because*
> libgcc failed, there are a whole host of programs I can't
> install, so I'm back to the CLI for cdburning.
>
> When I try to check my cdrom burner I get this:
> # cdrecord -scanbus (really, cdrecord --anything)

   Should be 'cdrecord dev=ATA -scanbus' on a 10.1 system. If that
returns x,x,x as your burner, then burn the iso's with

'cdrecord -v -eject speed=16 dev=ATA:x,x,x -dao <name_of.iso>'

     -dao is most important for iso's. x,x,x should be whatever
numbers the -scanbus query returns. Make sure your drive supports
disk-at-once. 'cdrecord dev=ATA:x,x,x -checkdrive'  ... you
should see 'SAO'  (SAO == dao).  For speed= ,use no more than 1/3
of your burners rated speed, or the media you're using, whichever
is smaller, for best results.  EG, 52x burner with 48x media, use
=16.

      Check the md5sum of the iso before (this is actually a first
step) and after burning. To check the CD, use  'md5sum /dev/hd?'
where ? is the letter for your burner.

    All of that is after you d/l (or from CD's) fresh
gcc-3.4.3-2mdk
gcc-cpp-3.4.3-2mdk
libgcc1-3.4.3-2mdk
gcc-c++-3.4.3-2mdk
   ..... and do a 'rpm -Uvh --force *gcc*' to see if you can't fix
gcc. Ignore my version numbers, that's current 10.2, but make
sure you're using the same versions as already installed.
--force in this case will only replace packages and files.  IMO,
it's about the only proper use of --force.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American