I have tried several times to get Mandrake version 10.1 to recognize my
external USB ( Maxtor Diamond Max) hard drive.  If I turn it on before
or during bootup it seems to freeze the booting process. It is not
recognized. Actually listed hardware states it is a unknown device.  If
I turn it on after booting it has a red pilot light.
  I have even removed the drive from the case and booting without the
drive gives a green pilot light but the device is not recognized in the
hardware list. The case does not have any jumpers to change but the hard
drive does. Could the problem reside here?
  The box recognizes my USB mouse and printer automatically.
Any suggestions/
Owen