On Monday 17 January 2005 05:53 pm, Erylon Hines wrote:
> On Monday 17 January 2005 12:40 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> | This morning I turned my PC on, went off to make my coffee, when I came
> | back it had this message:
> |
> | Kernal panic: No Init found. Try passing init= option to kernal
> |

> | what happened???? it was going great last night when I shut it down!!
> | then this :(
> |
> | and how do i fix it?
>
> More information is needed. Hardware can cause this (hd went titsup for
> examp).  Less extreme is a software error.  Try booting to failsafe.  Or,
> try with the first install disk for recovery, and see if you can mount the
> root drive that way.
>
> mkdir /mnt/hd
>
> chroot /mnt/hd
>
> cd /etc/
>
> vi lilo
>
> and then
>
> Check to see that everything lilo (or /boot/menu.lst for grub) is pointing
> to actually exists where lilo thinks it should be.
>
> You will also find the rest of your drive (if it is working)
>
>  If so, there is an option for re-installing the boot loader while in the
> recovery mode.
>
> If it were my system, my first inclination would be to boot with a Knoppix
> disk and have a look around to see if I could figure out what went wrong.
> Booting with Knoppix will show you all your drive's files and is the
> quickest option, if you have a disk, that is.

if it was me, I would use the mandrake install disk 1 and when it offered f1
for other options or enter to install, go for f1 and then go for rescue, hit
enter when propmpted about 3 times, remove the disk when told and reboot...
--
linux counter #167806 (http://counter.li.org/)
website="http://ed-tharp.kicks-ass.org";