J. David Boyd wrote:

 So, last night, after putting in my new memory (thanks all, for the
 machine.

 Front screen and CMOS report ~768M of memory. LILO starts up, I
 choose Linux, everything looks great.

 I press ESC to see the verbose startup report (Mandrake 10.0), and
 everything still looks great...

 Until X starts. The background comes up all crosschecked, then it
 gets colored blue. Then the icon changes from an X to an arrow
 pointer. All like normal so far.

 Then there she sits.

 I ran out of time to try setting mandrake to boot to a shell, rather
 than KDE automatically . I'll try that tonight.

 But does anyone know, do any X or KDE window manager settings need to
 be changed because I increased the memory in my system?

 Sounds kind of strange, but I was very surprised.

 Thanks for any ideas...

 Dave in Largo, FL

No, nothing should have to be changed when you put in more memory. The only exceptions to that is if you have a machine with a BIOS that doesn't report the correct amount of memory to the kernel. Then you have edit /etc/lilo.conf to reflect the new amount of memory. But you would know about that already, because you would have needed mem=<amount> as part of the append line to make the system work correctly anyway. The other exception is if you drasticly increase the memory, (2GB+?) you would have to change to one of the large memory kernels.

An easy way to check this in your case is when X gets stuck, hit "Ctrl-Alt-F1", log in, and run "free". It should show just under 768M of total memory. (Actual memory minus what the kernel uses.)

One thing I like to do when ever I install new memory is let the machine run mtest86 for a while before putting it into service. 24 to 48 hours is great, but even overnight helps. It lets you spot problems with the memory early. According to some reports I have read, it also "burns in" the new memory. I don't know if that is true, but I have not had any memory that passes the 48 hour test fail on me... (Unless you count the 256k IC that that got steped on. :-(

Mikkel