On Thursday 20 January 2005 13:15, J. David Boyd wrote:
> So, last night, after putting in my new memory (thanks all, for the
> machine.
>
> Front screen and CMOS report ~768M of memory.  LILO starts up, I choose
> Linux, everything looks great.
>
> I press ESC to see the verbose startup report (Mandrake 10.0), and
> everything still looks great...
>
> Until X starts.  The background comes up all crosschecked, then it gets
> colored blue.  Then the icon changes from an X to an arrow pointer.  All
> like normal so far.
>
> Then there she sits.
>
> I ran out of time to try setting mandrake to boot to a shell, rather than
> KDE automatically .  I'll try that tonight.
>
> But does anyone know, do any X or KDE window manager settings need to be
> changed because I increased the memory in my system?
>
> Sounds kind of strange, but I was very surprised.
>
> Thanks for any ideas...
>
> Dave in Largo, FL

No you do not need to change any settings for 768M.
If you had 1 M of memory you would need to use a different kernel to address
the high memory, but you could still use the standard kernel. It would simply
not see the high memory.

Your problem looks like a memory fault. Try reseating the memory and check
your BIOS settings to be sure they match the spec of your new memory.

If that does not help, before logging on hit Ctl+Alt+F1 to get a text console.
Log in as root, and install memtest86+  with
'urpmi memtest86+'
Then reboot with
'shutdown -r now'

At your lilo prompt you will see a new entry to test your memory. Select that
and let it run.
You should get **zero** memory errors.

derek

--