Hi Greg

The problem is that the soundblaster live! 24-bit is not recognized as
a sound card.  My problem is well known to live! 24bit owners all over
the web ;)  And I have recently found a board with the posted solution
at: http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=135920

Instead of having you go through the whole thread, here's a summary:
The live! 24-bit is different from previous live! models, it is based
on the AudigyLs chip.  Normally any SB live! can use the emu10k1, but
I'm 100% percent sure the 24-bit doesn't use it. As stated on the
justlinux board the 24-bit uses CA0106.  CA0106 is only available
through the Alsa cvs, because it is still experimental (only 2.1
speaker support...)  So that's why I need the cvs....

Here's the posted solution from alsa website:
cd <directory_to_store_sources>
cvs -d:pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvsroot/alsa login

Type empty password here... (Press 'Enter' only)

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvsroot/alsa co -z3 .

Once the cvs tree is checked out, you may update your tree with the
latest changes by going to the directory you checked it out in and
typing:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvsroot/alsa co -P -d

But I'm blocked at this step: cvs -z3
-d:pserver:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/cvsroot/alsa co -z3
The error returned to me says something like this basically:  -z not a
valid option.....

So yeah, I hope I made myself clearer than my initial post... sorry about
 that.

Thank you for your help
Sam