On Friday 21 January 2005 05:51 pm, Paul wrote:
| When upgrading to 10.1 Official from 10.0 Official, I keep getting a
| 'kernel panic  suggest passing init=" error.
|
| If I make a new install with the same discs, there's no problem.
|
| Any ideas what causes this?

Sometimes, lilo doesn't get the line:

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

added to it.  Or, the line could possibly be there, but be pointing to the old
*.img, and not to the new one.  Boot with a Knoppix disk and have a look at
/etc/lilo.conf
and
/boot
The initrd.img file is a link--see if it points to the right kernel.

And, /boot/vmlinuz must point to the the correct kernel, too.  I left this for
last because I, too, have had problems, and the initrd.img link was the
culprit, not the vmlinuz.  You would think an upgrade would always re-create
the initrd.img to point to the new kernel, but not so.  OOPS--kernel panic.