On Saturday 22 January 2005 12:33 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 22 Jan 2005 03:02, JR wrote:
> > My landlady gave me her laptop for the weekend to setup for her. It's 2.8
> > Ghz but runs slower than my 800Mhz machine - I'm assuming it's all the
> > virus scanners, adware removal daemons and so on.
> >
> > I'm thinking of installing mdk10.1 on it and getting everything working,
> > but she knows nothing about computers at all and I dont have time to
> > teach her - so my questions really are
>
> <snip>
>
> I've been reading the thread with interest.  I agree with most posters that
> there is little technical problem.  People who are not M$-addicted can take
> to Mandrake with little problem.  I do feel quite strongly, though, that
> there is an ethical problem.  I would not under any circumstances install
> Linux without the permission of the owner.  Forgive me if I have
> misunderstood you, but I got the impression that you were thinking of doing
> that.
>
> Anne

Hi Anne,

She basically wants me to do whatever make life easiest for her. She has seen
linux on my laptop and when she turned on her new pc, she had applications
screaming at her like ferral children, asking for her to register this and
update that...

I've tried to explain Linux vs Windows to her, but it's meaningless to her. I
actually think she would find Mandrake easier to use, but when you have to
consider interoperation with Windows users - I'm not really sure what to do.

At the moment, I've installed firefox / tbird and I've set them as the
defaults. I've also installed openofffice and done the same.

If I do put linux on, it will be a boot option. I will put an icon on her
linux desktop to "make windows default next time" just in case.

I'm still pondering though.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it,

Jarlath

--
Copyrighting allows people to benefit from their labours, but software patents
allow the companies with the largest legal departments to benefit from

Andrew Brown, The Guardian.