On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 13:00:09 -0800
Eric Huff disseminated the following:

> > 1. Is the recommended procedure to turn computers off at least
> > nightly or keep them on all the time?
>
> I turn mine off to save power, but there is little or no need to do
> it for stability.

Once you've stopped using your machine for some time, and the drives have spun
down and the monitor goes into powersave mode, how much are you really saving?

I've always been curious about that one.

> > 2. Should I install some type of firewall for security reasons? I
> > do not have any secret formula for Coca Cola or things like that
> > on my system, but do have credit card and other financial  info,
> > If yes, what do you recommend?
>
> You will get a lot of answers here, but i just use a Linksys router
> with a built in firewall.

I would second that. Linksys routers have always been my fav for such
'appliances', easy to configure, hackable, and they run Linux :-)

--
JoeHill / RLU #282046 / www.freeyourmachine.org
18:13:07 up 20 days, 6:52, 7 users, load average: 1.35, 1.40, 1.31