Lukas Ruzicka wrote:

Supermount could be the problem because the vanilla kernel doesn't use this feature. Nevertheless I could not mount even devices, where the supermaount had been turned off.

L.

At least you're not alone. Some time ago there was a thread about "the ghost in the machine". It turned out the culprit was supermount. This devil have plagued us for years now. In 10.1 is worse than ever, if I may have a say. To me it seems that this ghost has a will of its own, randomly changing /etc/fstab. For example my fstab changes in unpredictable ways whenever I insert a floppy, an USB device like a mp3 player, a scanner or a camera. More often than not I have to edit fstab by hand in order to get things right again, but the ghost returns after a short while.

I guess this is the penalty we have to pay for using an otherwise fine distro.

Kaj Haulrich.

OK

I have had other problems to deal with that I believe stemmed from this so now that I am back and have read all the great feedback to this thread can I ask what is probably a silly question?

Is there any way we can limit supermount to looking after " static " devices only [ such as cdrom ] and not go after removable devices?

Further to the feedback :

1. From what I have read all over the place you cannot run devfs and udev together.

2. Are there any other such anomalies I should be looking at ? eg hotplug and/or supermount ???? When I first started setting up to get the USB stuff working I used the "Flash Memory USB Howto " and whilst within that session things appeared to stay predictable, upon rebooting however, it seems that udev is attempting to take over the 'planet' and now if I " $ ls /udev " I get to see all the devices this operating system sees and has on standby. [ Very similar to the $ ls /dev printf but that list is missing my USB endeavours.]

3. What caused my system to 'hang' and finally " kill this user " by corrupting the .ICEauthority file was when I was removing / swapping flash drives and seeing " removable2 " unload / load correctly. I did this three times successfully but on the fourth time removing the flash drive, /mnt/removable2 did not update to removing itself as it did before. My system slowly developed the "hanging when required to work" state until I could not work with gui any further. I logged out and found my .ICEauthority problem when I attempted to log back in ~ though logging in as a different user was without problems.

4. So how do I tidy this mess up so as to try to understand how to get either supermount trained and tamed and/or udev performing as it ought to ? I believe I still have a conflict somewhere but have no idea where to start looking.

Please keep the great feedback above a-coming - greatly appreciated and is helping me learn.
--

Newbie Seeking USER_FUNCTIONALITY always!

Regards

SnapafunFrank

Big or small, a challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.
Registered Linux User # 324213