On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 00:02, Julie Sloan wrote:
> Paul wrote:
> > Julie Sloan wrote:

> >>When you refer to '/' , is that where /mnt is now, and is that where I'd
> >>access other partitions from, once I have them?
> >>

> > Windows doesn't like being moved - you'll need to backup your data and
> > re-install.
>

> <sigh>  baby steps...   one at a time...
>

> > The '/' Tom mentions refers (here) to the partitioning - when you are
> > asked about mount points when you install he suggests (at least) two
> > partitions '/' and '/home'. Under / you will probably see other
> > directories, including /mnt.
>

> and /usr and /bin  or am I still confused?

You can, if you wish, have separate partitions for /usr & /bin, or they
can both (and others) come under /

I have just two partitions for linux /home and /. I have a second,
smaller disk with windows on - this also has two partitions (windows &
data).

> > If you format the 80G into a FAT32 partition, both linux and XP could
> > read and write to it.
>

> What about a ReiserFS?  Or is that something else, not a type of
> partition as I thought?

ResierFS is a file system, not a partition - like the windows NTFS,
FAT32. You can choose which file-system your linux partitions use
ReiserFS, Ext3, etc