On Sunday 23 January 2005 07:59 am, Anne Wilson wrote:

> On Sunday 23 Jan 2005 13:12, Angus Auld wrote:
> > Is it safe to copy files from my NTFS xp partition over to my
> > Mdk10.1?? I have heard it said that it isn't safe to write to
> > a NTFS from Mdk, but is it safe to go the other way?
>
> Copying is no problem, but do not move (mv).  Remember that
> moving a file involves deleting it on the ntfs partition.  Keep
> that in mind and you'll be OK.
>
> Anne

   I have no experience (no Win$ux), but that pretty much mirrors
my understanding. Just one item left, if you make a tarball, say
a backup of your /home directory... can you extract the contents
of the tarball on a ntfs partition directly into a Linux (ext_,
ReiserFS, XFS, JFS, etc) partition?  Similarly, can rpm's stored
on ntfs, be installed from there?

   I would think dual-boot newbies with no separate /home
partition, might find this a lifesaving alternative to save
their /home files and configs.  Much the same with /boot, /etc,
or /var.  Directories I regularly backup (un-tar'd) to a
ReiserFS /stor partition.  Some rpm's I save too, just in case I
need to --force them in again to replace (corrupted or deleted)
files.  Specially helpful for kernels.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas
               Proud to be an American