On Monday 24 January 2005 14:44, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On Sunday 23 January 2005 03:29 pm, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> > Tom Brinkman wrote :
> >
> > " I always prefer to put /swap as the first partition (hd?1) on
> > a drive. R/W's slow as much as 40% the further down a partition
> > is on a drive, regardless of the drive's rpms, size, number of
> > disks, age, etc. "
> >
> > This puzzles me : I've always believed that a harddisk had its
> > first cylinders at the center.  This should give a slower
> > radial velocity.  Furthermore, if the read/write arm has its
> > idle position at the perimeter it should travel a longer
> > distance to the swap partition.
> >
> > But maybe I got it all upside/down  ?
> >
> > Kaj Haulrich.
>
>      Sort'a.  HDD, the sectors on the outer perimeter are passing
> under the r/w arm at a faster speed than the inner rings.  First
> partitions are on the outer rings.  Now it is just the opposite
> with CD drives, which are recorded from the inner ring to the
> outer edge.  Anyhow, back to HDD's, I believe the track location
> (inner/outer) has a much bigger effect than distance the r/w arm
> has to travel.  r/w arms move so quickly back'n forth they'd put
> a humming bird's wings to shame.  Also, today's large drives have
> multiple platters and r/w arms.  Which BTW, 'park' by the outer
> rings.  http://computer.howstuffworks.com/hard-disk.htm

Thanks Tom, that cleared things up for me.  Only this remains :

If the first partitions are on the outer ring, this of course gives
a faster spin-by.  Now, every platter is divided into sectors or
slices, each containing the same, fixed amount of bytes.
Accordingly, the radial velocity being constant, each sector passes
by the r/w head in exactly the same time.  Or, to put in another
way, the bytes on the outer rings are more dispersed than on the
inner ?

My brain hurts.  Better have another.... ;-)

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*sent from a 100% Microsoft-free workstation*
         * http://haulrich.net *