On Monday 24 Jan 2005 19:13, Elwyn wrote:
> Right. I've done all of that, however.
>
> It's gone a little, erm, odd.
>
> In "Network Neighborhood" on both windows machines what was the machine
> name within the group "MDKGroup" has now changed into my workgroup
> (YorkCov) with the machine name changed to
>
> Samba Server 3.0.10 ( <yorkcov (linux)
>
> But clicking on it which should reveal the share gives a message
>
> \\<yorkcov (linux is not accessable
>
> The compuer or sharename could not be found..... etc etc.
>
> Now, I think I'm correct in saying those extra \ < ( characters shouldnt be
> in there, but I can't find out where they are.  The machine name should be
> Saratoga, the workgroup is Linux and the Samba share should be called
> Shared Drive.
>
> Oh, and it crashed earlier. Was reading through the Smb.conf file and then
> it stopped responding. Alas.

Right. That's all sorted :)

The machine (Saratoga) is now in workgroup (Yorkcov) and the comment is set to
"Elwyns Mandrake, Samba Server 3.0.10" which is what I wanted. The "Type" is
set to "Windows NT 4.9 Server" but I don't know why.

Anyway,

So.

I've now got two shared folders "elwyn" and "ELWYN SHARED".

The first one is my /home/elwyn directory, the second is a directory within
home folder....

[ELWYN_SHARED]
   path = /home/elwyn/Shared
   comment = Shared Drive
   public = yes
   guest ok = yes
   writable = yes
   wide links = no

That's from the end of my smb.conf file.

I think the other problems I had was something to do with having two smb.conf
files in areas that the computer could read them :(

> And, if that wasn't enough the web interface for Samba doesn't work. I
> don't know if it didn't work before though because I hadn't been there.
>
> http://localhost:901/  gives
> An error occurred while loading http://localhost:901/:
>
> Could not connect to host localhost (port 901)

That still doesn't work. However, I now have a webserver on my Mandrake
machine. Got a nice startup page telling me what it can do and it's an
advx.org server... Hmm.

Features I suppose...

Cheers, Elwyn