It would appear that on Jan 24, et did say:

> On Monday 24 January 2005 02:01 pm, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> > http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Acronym=msec&Find=Fi
> >nd listed two likely meanings... "message security", or "multicast
> > security"... Though I suspect it's more like "Mandrake security" And would
> > probably be what I thought was the firewall settings during the install
> > process???
> not firewall, but a script that runs as a cron job to make sure no
> permissions
> are changed on files where they should not be, among other things...

Ohhhh a Mandrake specific security tool that I never learned about...
When you say it runs as a cron job, I hope you mean it does so without
my having to set it up... Since I multi-boot, this box & since I
frequently finish up with the poweroff command, until I'm ready to use
it again, I couldn't see much sense in spending my limited learning time
getting cozy with cron... Seams like when it would be "time" for cron to
do something, I'd like as not be: A) running a different Linux at the
time, B) have powered down, or in case of a blue moon, c) I may have
disabled the internet connection and loaded some old game on either the
win98 or the DrDos partitions...

> > If so, then I definitely told the installer to use "standard"
> hopefully the standard was msec, did you happen to see the other options, was
> one "paranoid"

My memory is too spotty to be sure if I only mentally associate higher
security settings as "paranoid" levels or if the installer actually used
the term for one of the more extreme settings. But it was the only time
the installer asked me to select a level of security where standard
sounded appropriate for a client side PC that accesses the internet.

Does the installer ask about msec????

> how about 'df'?
> and 'cat /etc/fstab'?
> and 'cat /etc/mtab'
> while we are asking for more info...
> did you say this was on a box with other linux installs?

Well ummm, The particular installation that did this has already been
overwritten with an attempt to get a working MDK 10.1 by upgrading a
working MDK 8.2 I restored from tar archive... I've already posted some
topics to deal with it's boot time errors.

IF however, somebody is willing to try to help me debug the problem I
experienced when I tried to do a clean install from the powerpack cd set
of MDK 10.1, I will cheerfully clear out my live storage archive space
on the partition I normally mount at /theBigTmp (I've had temporarily
restored linux systems {slackware 8.0, Redhat 9, MDK 8.2} boot and run
there before...)

/dev/hdc10            15401436  11586784   3032292  80% /theBigTmp

And see if a new clean install confined to /dev/hdc10 will duplicate the
problem I had when I tried to install it to /dev/hda4...

Are you willing??????????????????????

In the mean time:

Yeah I almost always have at least 4 linux installations all set up with
my preferences, email account access etc...

Speaking of which, I can remember that all partition besides the one I
mounted as "/" I told the installer to mount (NOAUTO) on non-standard
mountpoints reassembling the ones I have in this FC2's fstab
:r /etc/fstab
# LABEL=/1                /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
# I do NOT use the LABEL convention as I find it simpler to explicitly
# specify which partition I'm currently using... else I'd have named it
# theWanderlust (my name for this FC${LatestInstalledCore} installation)
/dev/hdc4       /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults,devmode=0666  0  0
/dev/hdc11              swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda7               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
# evidentaly /dev/cdrom is my dvd-rom on /dev/hdd
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
# evidentaly /dev/cdrom1 is my cd-rw on /dev/hdb
/dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1             udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,user,kudzu 0 0

/dev/fd0        /flop-a vfat    user,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0        /flop-ext       ext2    user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hda1       /theWin98       vfat user,noauto 0 0
# theJourney is my name for my FC1 installation
/dev/hda3       /theJourney     ext2    user,noauto 0 0
# theVoid was originally my name for the SuSE 7.3 this PC came with...
# /dev/hda4     /theVoid        ext2    user,noauto 0 0
# theWayWard is my name for my  MDK 10.1 installation
/dev/hda4       /theWayWard     ext2    user,noauto 0 0
# win98 calls this E:
/dev/hda5       /drv-e  vfat    user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hda6       /home/jtwdyp/images     ext2    user,noauto 0 0
# win98 sees this as D: yet the DrDos installed there sees it as C:
/dev/hdc1       /drv-d  msdos   user,noauto 0 0
# theVoyage is my name for my MDK 9.1 installation
/dev/hdc3       /theVoyage      ext2    user,noauto 0 0
# this mail dir is mounted in my .bash_profile on any linux from which I
# expect to use to access email...
/dev/hdc5       /home/jtwdyp/mail       ext2    user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdc6       /boot   ext2    noauto 0 0
/dev/hdc6       /theHdc6iBoot   ext2    user,ro,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdc7       /home/jtwdyp/RoastHere_hdc7     ext2    user,noauto 0 0
# the_j-home is a user storage partition belonging to my primary
# non-root account (identical UID on all my linux installations) I keep
# personal notes & reminders and several ooffice documents there...
/dev/hdc8       /the_j-home     ext2    auto 0 0
/dev/hdc9       /theTMP ext2    user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdc10      /theBigTmp      ext2    user,noauto 0 0

   # gpg sig for: Joe (theWordy) Philbrook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (:-0% #
   #   You can find my public gpg key at http://pgpkeys.mit.edu/   #