From: Derek Jennings <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: newbie@linux-mandrake.com
Subject: Re: [newbie] need help patching kernel
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:33:27 +0000

On Thursday 27 January 2005 12:03, Mike Chalmers wrote:

> Thank you both. I went to the web site
> ftp://ftp.rediris.es/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/10.1/i586/media/main/
> , that Derek recomended. I tried to install several of the 2.6.8 kernel's
> and I get this message-
>
> Some package requested cannot be installed:
> kernel-2.6.8.1.12mdk-1-1mdk.i586 (due to unsatisfied bootloader-utils[>=
> 1.9])
> do you agree ?
>

> I then tried to install one of the 2.4 kernels and it installed fine. So I
> do not know what to do?
>

> From,
>
> Mike Chalmers

This is what I meant when I said the kernel might require other packages.
This kernel was built for Mandrake 10.1, and because of differences in the two
releases it is asking for a package not available in 10.0. I would not
recommend trying to install the bootloader-utils package. That will very
likely demand other packages ad infinitum.

So if you want a newer kernel, then I think you are restricted to either
compiling your own, or upgrading to Mdk 10.1

BTW: That 2.4 kernel you installed will now be your default kernel. Your 2.6.3
kernel will be an option in the Lilo menu.
You can uninstall the kernel with the Software Uninstall GUI.

derek

-- www.jennings.homelinux.net http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org

Alright, I installed Mandrake 10.1. Does it use XFree 86? If so what version? If not what does it use?

From,
Mike Chalmers