On Sunday 30 Jan 2005 22:37, Rick Kunath wrote:
> I'm hoping someone can point me to some ideas on the sound issues I am
> having.
>
> This is a fresh MDK 10.1 install.
>
> The soundcard is an Audigy 2 Value card, and works correctly on Windows 2k
> (this is a dual-boot machine.) The motherboard (DFI PM12-TL) also has an
> integrated AC97 sound card (VIA chipset drivers), but I have it disabled in
> BIOS. The BIOS is set to "non plug-and-play OS".
>
> Lsmod does not show any sound modules loading, so I am guessing MDK didn't
> load them, thinking with no sound card, they wouldn't be needed?
>
> On a hardware scan from MCC, I get this output?
> ------------------------
> Identification
> Vendor: (null)

> Media class:  MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO
>
> Connection
> Bus:  PCI
>
> Bus PCI #:  0
>
> PCI device #:  10
>
> PCI function #:  0
>
> Vendor ID:  4354
>
> Device ID:  8
>
> Sub vendor ID:  4354
>
> Sub device ID:   097
>
> Driver
> Module:  unknown
> ------------------------
>
> I am wondering what steps I might take to get the card recognized? I
> Googled aplenty and the card seems to be a supported card (that's why I
> bought it), but does not get recognized.
>
> I don't know if having the motherboard sound card disabled is contributing
> to the issue or not, but when I enabled it, it did not appear in the
> hardware list either (the previous output was the same), and the only
> effect was a "failed" indication when the "new hardware" test scrolled
> across the screen during boot up.
>
> I've installed a lot of soundcards in Mandrake Linux, and have had a few
> issues over the years, but this one has me stumped.
>
> Ideas and thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

The problem with Creative cards is that they sell cards with one model name
but several possible chipsets.  You think you are getting the same card, but
you are not.  I've been bitten by that one too.  The only thing I can suggest
is to try Mandrake Control Center > Hardware > Hardware then select the
unrecognised card and attempt to run a manually installed driver (Run Config
Tool > Let me pick any driver).  There is an Audigy driver, snd-emu10k1 and
emu10k1.  The first two are alsa drivers, I believe, and the last one an OSS
driver.  If none of them work you are probably stumped.

There is a troubleshooting section, but it won't help you until you get the
card recognised.

BTW - you were right the first time - disable the on-board soundcard.  If you
can't get the audigy working, though, you may have to take it out and try the
onboard sound.  I always disabled them until recently, but they are not bad
these days.

Anne
- --
Have you visited http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org yet?  Mandrake at all levels