Mike Adolf wrote:

On Sunday 30 January 2005 08:28 pm, Dennis Myers wrote:

On Sunday 30 January 2005 03:45 pm, Mike Adolf wrote:

Just installed 10.1 Official on a compac preserio.  The installation
video appeared normal during installation, but when I rebooted I just got
a black screen.  How does one even begin to solve that kind of problem?

Mike

Put the first CD in and reboot, then choose the upgrade 10.1 and let it go
to the last screen, then choose screen resolution and try resetting to a
lower color setting like 16bpp or less, run a test and see if you get the
rainbow. If so you will have a useable config and you can go to finish. and
reboot.

Thanks for the reply. I did as you suggested. The resolution was at 1024x786 (or something like that) and the color was already set at 16bpp, which was the smallest of available choices. I change the resolution to 1024x480, the next smaller choice. After reboot, KDE came up, but the smaller resolution is unworkable. I used harddrake to reset it back to 1024x786, rebooted, and got the same black screen. This is a dual boot with XP and XP works fine with the higher res. I have another monitor to try, but if that doesn't do it, I guess that 10.1 doesn't work with the graphics card, Intel 185.

Mike

Make sure the monitor selection is correct. It sounds like the higher settings are driving the monitor beyond its rating. By changing the frequency range that the monitor supports, you can probably get the regulation you want. You can also try setting the color depth to less the 16bpp. I am not sure what modes you are actual using, as the numbers you report are not standard ones...

1600 X 1200
1280 X 1024
1024 X  768
800 X  600