Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 31 Jan 2005 20:14, mike wrote:
>
>>>I have renamed my lilo.conf in the 10.1 side to something else, so
>>>when I update the kernel on the 10.1 side it could not run lilo (and
>>> write over the conf I have on the 10.0 side).
>>>
>>>Which has worked on previous version's of mdk for me. But, not this
>>>time. Now when I updated the kernel on the 10.1 side it would not do
>>>it because (error 16 could not find boot loader), which is correct
>>>because I renamed the conf file.
>>>

> If I understand you correctly you are wanting to keep your old lilo.conf, so
> that you can copy/use settings after you have installed 10.1.  Correct?
>
> Why not open lilo.conf and save to lilo.conf.old?  That way the install will
> find lilo.conf as it expects, but you will still have an intact copy.  I use
> this whenever I know I'm going to do something that will overwrite an
> important config file.  It's also good to save originals, such as the
> smb.conf which gives so much helpful info.  I save it as smb.conf.orig before
> I start editing.
>
> Anne

Anne, yes thats kinda what I'm talking about. 10.1 is already
installed I'm just updating the kernel on it.

Basiclly I want to have it simple to update kernels on both 10.0 and
10.1 (like it was before,as mentioned above).

Right now what it looks like I'll have to do is update the kernel on
the 10.1 side (after I restored the lilo.conf of course) then create
an entry for my 10.0 side so I can boot to that after running lilo
on the 10.1.

I guess I can create /mnt/ entry on both sides then alternate lilo's
each time I update kernels on either side.

:-) Starting to get confusing.

Anyways seemed simpler when the kernel would install without
complaining about not finding the bootloader. At least in my
circumstance.

I know this is "Way out in left field" but since I'm not dependent
on 10.1 yet I wonder if I should try to force the kernel install and
see if it works. something to consider...maybe.

Mike