On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 16:39, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> On Monday 31 January 2005 18:59, Paul wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 14:52, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> > > Denmark is now ready to postpone the decision on software
> > > patents in Europe.  The battle between political parties up to
> > > the upcoming elections Feb. 8. has brought this into some
> > > focus.  Today the Danish secretary of state, Mr. Per Stig
> > > Moeller agreed to postpone the issue, and thus support Poland.
> > >
> > > The announcement is here (in Danish) :
> > > http://politiken.dk/VisArtikel.iasp?PageID=357932
> > >
> > > Kaj Haulrich.
> >
> > Good news, kaj.
> >
> > Was it Denmark that the commission decided were going to vote
> > yes, stopping it from getting thrown out?
> >
> > If I recall, someone in government found out what was going on
> > and started making a fuss.
>
> No, the way I see it our Sec.Trade (Mr. Bendt Bendtsen -
> conservative) just voted "yes" in the Politburo, - err - Commission
> out of sheer ignorance.   Of course a politician doesn't know the
> first thing about matters like this, so he just follows the big
> guys.  And his "advisers" i.e. the bureaucrats in the public
> service know even less.
>
> Then, the Central Committee - err - the Parliament made some fuss,
> and the matter went back to the Politburo.  Here, Poland put in on
> hold.  Now, the software industry here finally woke up and started
> a petition.  And many Danes, including myself, wrote emails to the
> various political parties warning them of losing voters in case
> they lost their minds.
>
> Finally the matter came to attention through newspapers, online
> magazines and TV.  And the Sec.State (Mr. Moeller) is a lot
> brighter than Mr. Bendtsen, so maybe there's hope after all ?
>
> Kaj Haulrich.

Thanks for the information, Kaj, and especially thanks for writing to
the politicos.

I used to be a member of Amnesty International, and one of their most
successful campaign tools were sacks of letter pouring into some
third-world country from all over the globe, about some poor sod who'd
disappeared into (e.g.) Saddam Hussein's prisons.

A tool that we could use. Which politician, after receiving 5 or 10, 000
mails regarding something he knew nothing about, wouldn't have a twinge
of worry about his future?

A techniuq