Hugh Dixon ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> [...]
I'll take a stab  at it ..

This is a bash builtin called test in [ ] .. man test for more.

$? is the bash pre-defined variable that reports the error value of
the last command

-ne 0 ]  is not equal to 0 or zero, if you didn't already know,

[ $? -ne 0 ] means, if the grep command fails, being not-equal to 0,
so fetchmail is not running, then it will start fetchmail

otherwise the grep command returns true or 0, with fetchmail
running, then skips starting it again.

use konqueror for info:bash to see the rest ..

HTH
--
RickS                              Registered Linux user #338463
Mdk 10.1 OE - Linux 2.6.8.1-12mdk        @ http://counter.li.org