On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 15:07, Kevin B. O'Brien wrote:
> In Windows I have used Musicmatch Jukebox. Is there something comparable,
> or something you would recommend, to play MP3's in Linux?
>
> Thank you,

Woah!  Let the flamewars begin!  There's a HEAP of choices out there, just
about every beginning Linux geek tries his hand a writing an mp3 player :-).
Some are really simple single file players, and then there's the video
players like Xine and MPlayer that play MP3 in addition to video, but I'll
skip those here, seeing as you want a MusicMatch replacement I assume you
want a proper music database manager, tagger, ripper, etc.

In the KDE world, my personal favourite is Juk: clean and simple but top
quality with the best tagging tools.  Amarok is preferred by others for all
the bells and whistles.  I haven't used them, but under Gnome there's
Rhythmbox and Beep(?).  And of course, there's the venerable XMMS.

For ripping MP3's, there's also a lot of choices, but KAudioCreator or Grip
are the two usually preferred.  For burning to CD's the only real choice is
K3B, which has some integrated ripping functions.

You will probably find at least one of these already in your Mandrake menu
under Multimedia/Sound, or you'll find them waiting for installation in the
Software Manager under the Sound group.  You may need to define Contribs as a
source, and you will definitely need PLF to install lame to rip CD's to MP3.

Cheers!

John.

Forget that new hard drive, save some lives instead, donate to the Red Cross:
  USA:  https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp
  UK:  https://www.donate.bt.com/bt_form_dec.htm
  Oz:  https://www.redcross.org.au/Donations/onlineTsunamiDonations.asp
  NZ:  https://www.banqonit.com/proxypage.aspx?boiid=205