At 05:56 PM 2/1/2005, you wrote:
Bill Mudry wrote:
At 01:02 PM 2/1/2005, you wrote:

<Cut for brevity :-)>

I waited for some time actually. There is always some chance that I should
have waited longer but I have doubts. Meanwhile, I went back into XFdrake
and was able to up the resolution to 1280 x 1024. Its what I prefer anyway.
The test showed that the card and monitor (Mitsubishi Diamond Scan 17x)
can support this resolution.
When I put in startx at the prompt, I got an interesting change. The screen
went blue again but only for 1 second or so. Then it changed to a bright red
with the cursor still in the middle. It stayed that way for a few seconds and
then dropped down to the prompt again. The screen reported the following
error:
  Failed to load module "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a"
  (once-only module, 135962511)
Something is still keeping it from proceeding further to where all icons come
up. How essential is that file? What does it do? Any further suggestions?
Still hopeful :-)
Bill Mudry

Bill; Change to the "vesa" driver we spoke about yesterday. You don't have a 3D driver installed at this point and "X" is trying to load one because it's detecting your GeForce card.

Right now, that system doesn't have the horsepower to support 3D graphics, but you should be able to get your desktop and decent graphics using the vesa driver.

By the way, did you manage to find out which video card you have in that system?

The card is an ATI Mach64 3D Rage IIC. It has a Rage IIC chip. It is 1998 vintage. Doesn't that 3D mean that it, instead,
should support 3D? Where do I go, what do I do to put it into Vesa? Since this may very well be a 3D card, should I
still by trying out Vesa?

One step closer, still hopeful ;-)

Bill

--