On Wednesday 02 February 2005 03:47 pm, jdow wrote:

| Mandrake is not ready for Aunt Tilly.

I have to throw a BS flag on this.  Aunt Tilly can't install Windows.  While
she can click an executable and install a program in Win, with Mandrake,
there certainly aren't many programs she would need--everything useful to her
is installed by default.  Auntie has to be talked through her internet
connection by her ISP, or an installer has to come over and set up her DSL
for her (and with Win she will be promptly hosting spyware and adware, is my
guess).  So, internet setup is a wash for Windows and Linux.  My wife has
been using Mandrake for years (since she got hit with the Anna K worm within
a couple of hours of it being released into the wild).  If she can use it (as
she once told a friend of ours), "Anybody can".  And no, she can't install
Windows, either.  And, I've installed Mandrake on a number of friend's
computers, and most aren't very computer savvy.  They are using it and they
are still my friends.  I get a lot fewer questions and provide a lot less
support to them than I do to my friends with Windows machines--most of the
Windows problems are due to spyware/adware and just plain stupidity.
Stupidity is hard on Linux (unless you run as root) and the spyware and
adware just aren't there.
So, I ask you, "Which system is really easier for Aunt Tilly?"  Remember, all
she wants to do is some word processing, open a *.pdf once in a while, browse
for recipes and send and receive her e-mail.  And maybe share pics of the
nieces and nephews.