In the process of trying to set up an external hard drive, I misread the
Seagate setup instructions and accidentally destroyed the partitions on my
laptop so badly that using 'rescue' from the installation CD couldn't do
good. (all my partitions were gone)

I've since reinstalled Linux and tried to set the partition sizes to what
they were before, in the hope that I could run some sort of file restore
utility on /dev/hda6, which was where my /home drive was. (my hope was
that that portion of the hard drive wouldn't be overwritten by the
install)

I've tried r-linux, recover and mundelete and none of them have worked.  I
need something a little more thorough than those three, something that
will scan the drive itself instead of only checking the inodes.

Any suggestions?