Graham ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> RickSisler wrote:
>
> >I haven't had any problems with the nvidia drivers since 9.1 when I
> >started using Mandrake, but I need some advice here.
> >
> >I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.8.1-24mdk and rebuilt the nvidia driver
> >with version 6111 from nvidia website. At first it didn't install
> >because of the kernel source being /usr/src/linux symlink to
> >lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root   19 Feb  3 20:22 linux ->
> >linux-2.6.8.1-24mdk
> >drwxr-xr-x  21 root root 4096 Feb  3 20:21 linux-2.6.8.1-24mdk/
> >

> I recently ugraded to the 2.6.8.1-24mdk kernel and installed the nvidia
> 6629 driver. I used the nvidia installer (package name).run with the -e
> option and accepted the default settings until the source directory then
> changed it to /usr/src/linux-2.6.8.1-24mdk. The install went through
> with no problems and all users can run glxgears.  Just my experience HTH.
> Graham
Yeah, I think the "linux-" is throwing the nvidia-installer off, so it
would seem you have to indicate the --kernel-source-path since it's
not part of the "uname -r" that nvidia keeps refering to in the
readme.

I did an strace on glxgears for root and my user, which was turning
up permissions on some stuff in the /proc dir ... hmmm .. 686 and mmx
... So didn't want to go there. And as it turns out, I forgot I
installed the xorg 6.8.1 from the Mandrake DVD, but it was missing
some fonts, atleast the ones I like. So I re-installed 10.10 and
updated xorg and I'm gonna try the new kernel and 6629 drivers tonite
with this new install. Which is running really well right now ... ;)

Thx for replying..
--
RickS                              Registered Linux user #338463
Mdk 10.1 OE - Linux 2.6.8.1-12mdk        @ http://counter.li.org